Saturday, August 21, 2010

How does changing the oil in my jeep make my jeep live longer?

I accidentally let my oil change go over by 1000 miles because I just had surgery and went back to work without thinking about it. Today, I am heading to Walmart or a Jiffy lube to get the oil changed. I dont know what to order when they ask. They usually say ';do you want 10W30';, and they ask me what kind of oil I want, and I request whatever they usually put in since I am really good about changing the oil all the time except for now.


Is all this oil changing going to affect the life of my jeep and how?How does changing the oil in my jeep make my jeep live longer?
The easiest way to explain it is that your engine oil is a lubricant for the moving parts in your engine. It reduces friction and therefore reduces heat in your engine. Over time, the oil will become dirty and begin to break down, making it a less effective lubricant. This can cause minor wear and tear to your engine parts, and over time will reduce the efficiency of your engine. This is why it is important to change your oil often. Going 1,000 miles over one time isnt cause for worry though...How does changing the oil in my jeep make my jeep live longer?
Oil over time collects particles of sludge and metal from engine wear. Some are trapped in the filter but eventualy they just end up in the oil pan when the filter is full. Also oil loses viscosity after a certain period of time and protects less. Loss of oil can effect pressure as well and lead to engine wear. I use a 10w30 synthetic in my wrangler. 10w30 is a standard grade of oil. It is suitable for most driving conditions. Thicker oil is better for warmer weather. Lighter for colder weather. Most modern cars, unless driven more than usual, can go over the 3000 mile limit. Oils are better designed to handle this. Newer cars should have their first change before 3000 because of the breaking in period where engines tend to wear a bit more at first. Changing the oil removes the crap collected and refreshes the worn out oil. Synthetic oil tends to hold its properties longer and is actualy much better. The argument that synthetics are bad for seals is a myth. Highway driving requires less frequent changes because the oil pressure is higher and constantly lubricating parts so less wear. Town driving requires more frequent changes. Hope this helped.
doc martin is correct. i would add to check your owners manual and/or the filler cap for the correct grade.





don't forget the air filter.





if you want additional protection, upgrade to a magnetic drain plug which will trap additional metal particles or a oil filter magnet, filtermag.com.





EDIT: to the captain, i would advise following the manufacturer's recommendation. My jeep's owners manual recommends 5000 or 3000 in sever driving. i go 3000 since i do a lot of stop and go.





i would be wary of them asking about 10w30 off the cuff. they should at least look it up on their computer or check the oil filler cap.
if you change your oil daily , you can use the regular oil 5-30 . this is what the jeep manufacture recommend. do not waste money on synthetic oil that some guys will try to sell you. you don';t need this expensive oil. passing over a thousand miles is okay. you did not cause any damage. just change your oil on time will make your engine last longer.
oil gets full of grit and breaks down over a peroid of time which will not keep the engine lubed up causing lose of compression and wear
Oil change places say to change oil every 3000 miles. The manufactures say 5000 to 8000 miles. I would rather believe somebody that is in business to sell oil rather than somebody that wants to sell engines.
I'll probably get all kinds of thumbs down for this because many people are gullible enough to continue be fooled by TV commercials, but in a properly running car, just mindlessly changing your oil every 3000 miles is a huge waste of oil and a waste of your money. Follow the owner's manual in regard to oil change intervals. Most newer cars don't need their oil changed every 3000 miles unless they are constantly being driven on dirt roads or are being driven like they're stolen etc.,





I just bought an '08 VW and the owner's manual advises oil changes at 5000 mi for the first oil change, then every 10,000 miles thereafter. Jiffy Lube and Wal-Mart are in the oil change business to make money, not to do what's best for the customer. Changing your oil every 3000 miles when it isn't necessary just puts more money in Jiffy Lube and Wal-Mart's pockets (and wastes a lot of motor oil in the process).
At about 8000 miles you can kill the engine if you don't ...I did ... I have a 98 wrangler which i happen to like so i change it every 2-3000 miles , sometimes sooner because i do a lot of off roading in it .... If you have it done at JL check it that nite to make sure you have oil , i know someone who's engine blew because the filter they used was defective and leaked all the oil out... That happened within hours of haveing it done..............
going a 1000 miles over is not going to hurt anything.....I go 4000 with my oil changes, I use Valvoline oil 10w30 in my 1999 grand cherokee %26amp; have always use that oil weight, no problems out of motor %26amp; it has 138,000 miles on it
The first guy took the words outa my mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment