Friday, July 30, 2010

Can I claim back my tax if i work on an oil platform in the north sea but live in spain?

';North Sea'; is a bit vague but i'm assuming you are within UK territorial waters and also that you are working for a fair portion of the tax year.





As a rule of thumb if you are in the UK for 183 days then you are resident in the UK but if you are also in spain for the part of the tax year and not working then you are possibly not getting the full benefit of tax free personal allowances.





You won't be able to claim all of your tax back though.





Whenever you enter the UK you have to complete a P86 (Arrival in the UK) and when you leave a P85 (Leaving the UK) forms. These will enable the HMRC to determine your residency status and also review if any tax needs to be repaid.





Residency is a complicated issue and therefore I would contact the HMRC and see exactly what is needed in your case.Can I claim back my tax if i work on an oil platform in the north sea but live in spain?
If the oil platform is in British waters I dont think you will be able to claim the tax backCan I claim back my tax if i work on an oil platform in the north sea but live in spain?
basically no
only if you are out of the uk for more than six months

No comments:

Post a Comment