Monday, July 26, 2010

What oil should I use in my 69 beetle?I live in NC and its usually very warm?

Also I dont know what was used in before.I know you can't go down in oil but should go up. It has 95000 miles on it and I'm going to give it a tune up and oil change.What oil should I use in my 69 beetle?I live in NC and its usually very warm?
30W is fine. It won't take much oil...don't overfill. There's no filter, just loosen the plug and drain. After the oil has drained, it might be a good idea to inspect the oil screen. Loosen the six smaller bolts around the drain plug and let the round plate drop, Check for any debris, metal shavings etc. replace the plate with a new gasket.





There's a notorious weak link with this engine. It's #1 valve which is on the driver's side front. It should be inspected and adjusted with a feeler Gage regularly....every other oil change. it's not hard to do but requires removing the valve cover and later resealing it.





Factory recommended oil change is every 1,500 miles...probably because it has no filter and takes about 1.5 qt. oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment