Monday, July 26, 2010

Where can I change the oil in my motorcycle if the condos where I live don't allow it on the property?

I want to change the oil on my motorcycle myself but the complex where I live does not allow vehicle maintenance or repair on the property. Is there some public places that allow a person to do their own vehicle maintenance? I live in the Seattle area.Where can I change the oil in my motorcycle if the condos where I live don't allow it on the property?
The insurance industry has made ';do it yourself'; garages disappear.


I wait till dark or till management goes home.


Watch out for jealous or meddling neighbors, though, in some places you can be fined for spilling a drop.Where can I change the oil in my motorcycle if the condos where I live don't allow it on the property?
I'd do it at night... :) (i've done this)


or


Maybe a friends house
you need some riding friends that can do it
Do it in your closed garage and no one will see, or just do it at night. I Can't belive some places have restrictions on doing thing your self. That's why I bought a big house outside of town, I can do what ever want, when ever I want, and no one ever says a thing.
Well thats bs i would just go out and do it. when the person says you cant do that here tell him ok then when it blows up on me cause i didnt change the oil you can by me a new one.
Do what has been mentioned at night or early morning (before 6:00AM. If you have a car, park the bike at the front of the stall sideways and your car behind it to cover from any on lookers. If you have fairings, to get to them off during the day so they are out of the way prior to beginning the oil change. If any one asks...';you're pulling them off to polish them inside.';





Place all of the tools in the drain pan with your replacement oil and filter. Take a towel, plastic grocery bag and funnel. Place the pan under the bike and drain the oil. As the oil is draining replace the filter. Cap the drain plug and fill the bike to the proper level with oil. Pour the old oil back into the bottles for delivery to the auto parts store for recycling. Collect all of your tools, old filter %26amp; oil into the pan and grocery bag and get back to the apt/condo where you can clean everything up at that time.





Once everything back inside you can put your fairing back on (if you have one) and clean up any mess you made. This is critical to making sure one can say you were out there working on your bike.





Do NOT screw around and do NOT have friends over that will inevitablely draw a crowd. This whole process should not take any more than 10-15 minutes (excluding fairing replacement). Did I mention..DO NOT SCREW AROUND!





You will need to definately clean up any mess and take the oil to the auto parts store for recycling. Not doing so can get you in a world of hurt for contaminating the soil (Federal issues involved with that one ya know). And do not think they will not prosecute lil ol you either...cause the will!
there is a guy in my complex that works on a project car in his garage. he does it with the garage open and people don't mind. I've change dmy motorcycle oil in front of my garage too and people don't mind. If you do it quickly and clean, I don't see why people get mad.





You could change it in the garage, with the door closed. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to do this.





Luckily for me, I've made some friends with my neighbors and they do not mind me doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment